Meet the Team
The First Element Group is a team of experts from the fields of
Science, Technology and Engineering
Commerce and Industry
Innovative and Sustainable Design Thinking
We bring a complementary skill-set, a proven track record and a commercial and results-driven approach to a shared vision:
We are passionate about the potential of low-cost green hydrogen, generated safely in-house and the role it can play in achieving our global net zero carbon goals.
Greg Howett, BEng (Co-Founder & CEO)
Founder and CEO of software company Edgenexus (https://www.edgenexus.io) since 2001: Greg has been producing tools that power and secure application services systems for high profile international institutions, including the European Space Agency and the United States Navy. An active and experienced CEO, he is involved in every area of the business from sales to product development and has broad experience of setting up international offices in line with country-specific legal and accounting practices.
Before establishing Edgenexus, Greg was Founder and Chairman of Layer47, and CTO of Preact.
He continues to maintain a number of non exec and advisory positions, including some pro-bono.
Greg has the following skills and industry knowledge:
- Over 20 years experience in software development.
- Building complex software code
- Working with international clients
- Business restructuring
- Generating sales
Greg’s qualifications include:
- BEng Robotic Engineering, Plymouth University
- Series 7 General Securities Representative Qualification
- FSA trained
Professor Nigel Brandon, OBE FREng FRS (Co-Founder & CTO)
Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London from October 2017-present, Nigel’s research is focused on electrochemical devices for low carbon energy applications, with a particular focus on fuel cells, electrolysers, and batteries.
- Director of the UK Hydrogen and Fuel Cells SUPERGEN Hub (http://www.h2fcsupergen.com).
- Chair of Imperials Sustainable Gas Institute (www.imperial.ac.uk/sustainable-gas-institute).
- Founder of Ceres Power (www.cerespower.com), an AIM listed fuel cell company spun out from Imperial College in 2000.
- Founder and Director of RFC Power (www.rfcpower.com), a flow battery company spun out from Imperial College in 2018.
- Partner in Galvanic Energy, which offers specialist Consultancy services in the electrochemical technology space (https://galvanicenergy.co.uk).
Skills and industry knowledge include:
- Electrochemical engineering with a focus on the transition to low carbon energy
- Researching and designing next generation fuel cells and storage
Nigel holds the following qualifications:
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- PHD and degree in engineering, Imperial College London.
- Chartered Engineer
Recent measures of esteem:
- 2021 Fellow of the Royal Society
- 2021 Freedom of the City of London
- 2021 Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Engineers
- 2019 Nominee, Global Energy Prize for Unconventional Energy.
- 2014-2016 Chair, UK Energy Storage Conference series
- 2016 Conference Chair, 12th European Solid Oxide Fuel Cell and Electrolyser Forum, Lucerne, Switzerland, 5-8th July.
- 2014 Francis Bacon Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2014 RISE (Recognising Inspirational Scientists and Engineers) Fellow
- 2014 Co-Director, Energy SuperStore
- 2014 Director Sustainable Gas Institute
- 2012 Director Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Supergen Hub
- 2012 Director Energy Storage Research Network
- 2012 BRE Fellow
- 2012 Visiting Professor, Energy Research Institute, NTU Singapore
- 2011 Baker Medal, Institute of Civil Engineering
- 2011 OBE for services to UK-China science
- 2008 Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- 2008 Fellow of the City and Guilds of London Institute
- 2007 Royal Academy of Engineering Silver Medal
- 2006 Chartered Engineer
- 2006 Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- 2006 Fellow of the Energy Institute
- 2006 Inaugural Energy Senior Research Fellow to the Research Councils Energy programme
Amy Hedger, BA (Co-Founder & CMO)
Beginning her career in PR and Communications for consumer brands, Amy has latterly consulted at C- Suite Level across Asia, Europe, and North America for Apple, LVMH, Nokia, Orange, H&M, and Nike among others: She has helped these brands understand global consumer trends and how to apply innovative design thinking and sustainable practice to their brands, products, and services.
Amy has also consulted on both a paid and pro-bono basis, for a number of SMEs, start-ups, and charities.
After reading for a BA in French and German at Oxford University (The Queens College) Amy gained her BA in Mandarin from the University of Leeds.
Skills and Industry knowledge:
- Experienced analyst of Consumer Brands, Design and Innovation, Consulting and presenting at Board Level for leading innovative brands including Apple, LVMH, and Nike
- Experienced and well regarded Speaker at International Retail, Design, and Innovation Conferences
- Global Stakeholder Engagement & Management
- New Business Development
James Brandon, BEng (FuelCell Hydrogen Engineer)
Consultant at Nigel Brandon Consulting Ltd, James deals with all forms of energy storage solutions, with a focus on electrochemical energy. His career has been focused on building essential collaborations between academia and industry to develop next-generation energy storage. His previous work includes as a Project Engineer at Warwick University where he led the ‘Battery University’ with a focus on cell assembly.
Skills and industry knowledge include:
- Lithium-ion battery research, manufacturing, and testing
- Developing hydrogen and solid oxide fuel cells
James possesses the following qualifications:
- BEng Materials Science, University of Birmingham